Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Virgil Shaw...

Virgil Shaw is a Bay Area music fixture. Initially as lead singer/songwriter for long gone and sorely missed SF band Dieselhed and later as solo performer who released a couple of excellent albums, Quad Cities and Still Falling. Now here's my confession: I hadn't put Still Falling in the old headphones in about 2 years. Why? I don't know. Just one of those albums that fell by the wayside for whatever reasons. But then Dominic from Our Lady Of The Highway started singing its praises a few days back, so I dug it out and...damn!! Bottom line is that Still Falling borders on genius. This is a semi-country-semi-psych piano and trumpet fused slab of beauty. Everything about it is good, from the music to the slice of life stories. You've gotta love a heartfelt apology that goes, "I'm sorry I left you there, sleeping naked in a beanbag chair". And it still sounds special. Still Falling reminds me of the following things: The Band, Elton John (Tumbleweed Connection era), Clint Eastwood in The Good The Bad And The Ugly, jigsaw puzzles, last night's game 7 of the Spurs-Mavs series, Raymond Carver, Townes Van Zandt, and Granfaloon Bus. Just listen it will all make sense in the end.

1 song from Still Falling:

Still Falling

Remember May is National Masturbation Month. Do your part.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been doing my part. Please close the door but first hand me the tissue.

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home