Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Malajube...

Malajube got some critical love last year for their album Trompe-L'Oeil but never reached the buzzy heights of, say, Arcade Fire or Broken Social Scene to name just two of the many Canadian bands that have been owning the indie scene during the last three years. It's too bad that Malajube hasn't gotten the same attention because they're easily as good if not better than many of the buzziest or the buzzy buzz buzz bands. Maybe it's because they sing in French. I know that probably puts off must indie rock kids like subtitles in movies put off 12 year olds. But give Malajube a listen and a chance and they'll blow your socks off. You'll find yourself thinking why didn't I hear about these guys last year? Oh wait they're not singing in English. That puts me off. It all makes sense now. But it's so good. I must continue to listen, put aside petty intellectual arguments about the need to understand the lyrics to get the full effect. Must get French to English dictionary.

Some videos from Malajube:

Montreal -40

Pate Filo

Fille a Plumes

Le Metronome

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the Malajube show on Saturday night; it was great. I heard Malajube was interviewed for a local NY tv show, Indigo.tv, which will be shown on Thursday night and then clips will be put up on the indigo.tv website.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw them Friday night and I must say it was the best show I've been to in a long time. A long, long time.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home