Monday, June 13, 2005

Pernice Brothers...

Well, tomorrow Joe Pernice and the boys release yet another installment in their long running development of mope rock. It's always a good day when The Pernice Brothers release a new album. Discover A Lovelier You is, what, the 5th Pernice Brothers album? I think that's right. I've loved everyone of them. Joe Pernice is a songwriter with few peers, only problem is that he seems to write the same album over and over again. I guess that's not necessarily bad when you consider how wonderful his formula is. Bright shiny pop tunes hiding a deadpan wit that always sees the glass as half empty. I'm quite proud of the fact that i've been listening to this for about 3 months now and haven't posted a track yet. I'm reviewing it for Stylus Magazine (should be up some time this week) and in an effort to prove that not all music writers are unethical I kept this one underwraps until now. Discover a Lovelier You is more of what you'd expect from the band. The songs are uniformly excellent, the production is a bit slicker this time out but to no detriment to the songs. If you loved Yours, Mine & Ours you'll readily embrace this album as one of the best you've heard. My only fear is that people are starting to get innured to the excellence that is Joe Pernice. Are we starting to take him for granted simply because we always expect an album of great pop tunes and invariable get them? You really can't argue that Pernice has made many albums (including his side projects) that stray far from his guitar based pop formula. It's always good, but are we beginning to be unimpressed by his impressiveness? Maybe a bit of experimentation is in order on the next outing. For now this album is another excellent entry into the Pernice Brothers discography.

1 track from Discover A Lovelier You:

My So Called Celibate Life

3 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

that must have been a hard one to keep to yourself. don't tell me you've also been sitting on the Jackson verdict for three months too!

thanks for finally sharing

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It weren't easy. Pretty much everytime I ran low on post ideas, it was there tempting me. But I was strong.

Pete

8:42 PM  
Blogger Justin Cober-Lake said...

I've never taken to the Pernice Brothers before, but I think this one is a step up from the earlier stuff I'd heard. Don't know why, but it is a strong one.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home