Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Slow Dazzle...

This is my favorite kind of record. The kind that creeps up on you with repeated listening. The first time I listened to it was at work on tinny computer speakers. I was busy, distracted and not getting the full effect so I was in full shrug mode, meh. I knew Slow Dazzle was half of the songwriting team from Mendoza Line, but it didn't sound like Mendoza Line. I was having issues here and I generally like what the folks at Misra Records put out. I figured you can't hit a homerun everytime. Recently I put The View From The Floor in the car and that's when the record started to turn the corner for me. I got home and put it on the good stereo and listened to it 4 straight times. No kidding. This is a good album that echoes Galaxy 500 & the Velvet Underground. Those bands are good starting points but Slow Dazzle's sound is fairly unique. While the songs are adorned with white noise hiss, electronic blips, odd percussive elements, their foundation is guitar pop. There's melody here slow and cool. If you're a Mendoza Line fan don't run away, there's good listening here.


There are 2 songs available at the Misra site so I'm only posting one from The View From The Floor:

Wedding Dance

BTW it's gonna be San Antonio in 7.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great great find.
Gawd, she sounds like someone else on this track. The singer from Mazzy Star maybe? And the strumming on this song makes the connection stronger....that lazy hazy nodding off feel.
And a nicely written post as well. Thanks.
Andy

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog is great. I just checked it out with my new broswer. I changed over from IE, and i’ll never go back. It has a built in RSS feed reader and tabbed broswring. It’s called Ideal Broswer and can be found here: Idealbroswer.com

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you posted this. Songs:Illinois had a couple of Slow Dazzle songs the other day and made the Mazzy Star comparison. Good stuff, and as always thanks for the Buckner post.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This continues to be in heavy rotation here at Bars & guitars. I can't recommend it enough.

Pete

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo...great blog.

You crazy though about San Antonio.

DETROIT BASKETBALL!

Go Pistons!

3:41 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

woohoo, another slow dazzle find.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home