Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Metric...

Just finished writing a review of the new Metric album Live It Out. I'm left with the question, what pissed them off so much. I kid, a little. I completely understand why they're so pissed off. How can you live in this world given its current state and not be pissed off. You're playing head in the sand if you don't get a bit hot under the collar after reading the morning paper. So I guess Metric just decided to put that feeling on record. Unlike 2003's Old World Underground, Where Are You Now? which sounded upset only if you weren't dancing, the tone of the new record caught me a bit off guard. You're not going to find the bubbly, bouncy fun of a "Hustle Rose" this time out. No, Metric has turned up the guitars along with their tempers. This doesn't mean bad, it just means different. Instead of being beat centric the record is guitar heavy. It's a good listen and Ms. Haines' new political lyrics suit her just fine. I understand that they're blazing live. I've never seen them so I can't say, but I can very well imagine how the angular guitar power of the record would translate very well to a live setting. I, frankly, didn't care much for this record the first few listens but it's grown on me. There's something about the dichotomy of Haines' whisper of a voice, her accusatory lyrics, and the bombast of the band's sound that has brought me around.

from Metric's Live It Out:

Glass Ceiling

Get Live It Out HERE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home