Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Frog Holler...

I don't remember when I started listening to Frog Holler. It was about the time that Idiots came out I think. What I do remember is being completely blown away by a song on that disc called "Happy Hour". It was my first visit to Arizona. My wife and I had flown into Las Vegas and were driving to Lake Havasu not to party and flash breasts but to visit her grandmother who lived there. It was a strange time in my life. I was feeling growing pains, but I didn't know it at the time. I had just become a father, had started a business and the mournful chorus of "Happy Hour" seemed like a goodbye to the life of non-stop partying and youthful irresponsibility that I had been living, "If you're thinkin' of me/I'm ok, ok/But there's still that day between us/And it's keeping us both away." I was probably stretching the lyrics to fit how I was feeling, but the mournful tone of the song, the way it ramps up at the chorus, Darren Schlappich's strained vocals, the sweet mandolin line, all seemed to fit my mood. Of course with age comes wisdom. I realize now that growing up doesn't mean letting go of things you love. On the contrary, it means adding to your repertoire. Here I am 6 years later still loving Frog Holler. I think they're one of those rare bands that seem able to escape the genre that they're pinned into. This band is better than just alt-country or Americana. It's rock and roll. Either that or they just so obviously don't give a shit being just as happy to play their music, write their songs and drink beer with friends and family. Isn't that what it's about?

From Railings

Idiots

From Idiots

Stray

Who Will?

Happy Hour
(Just try not to sing along to the chorus of this one, go ahead I dare you, double dog dare you)

Get their stuff @ Miles of Music

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this site is costing me a lot of damned money. frog holler is great, so's one star hotel. Thanks for all the turn-ons...

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We aim to please.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home