Friday, April 22, 2005

Victoria George...

It was just odd this AM. I'm leaving to go to work and I see a package on top of the mailbox. It was clearly too large for the box so the kind postal worker had left it on top. I stop and grab it because there's a chance of rain in the afternoon and I don't want no soggy package. I open the thing up and it's a CD by this woman Victoria George. She looks all cowgirl and honky tonk on the cover, it's got a press release and some info. I can't for the life of me figure out how the woman got my home address. I mean my email gets around some because of this site and the writing I do for various publications but not my home address. Anyway, I'm scratching my head as I ride my bike to work thinking less about what the CD may sound like than how it ended up in my mailbox. At work I'm looking at the cover thinking that it seems much more appropriate to the more country leanings of Songs Illinois and that maybe I'll just pass it along to Craig. I put it in the CD player, lo and behold I'm impressed. Out of all the times where I've been contacted by bands about featuring their stuff here, there have probably been 2 times where I liked the material enough to post about it. But this Victoria George clearly has something going for her. She walks the line between alt country, folk pop and a touch a rock. More interesting is that she's clearly at a cross roads. The songs are there, the production needs some work, over all the 5 songs here are good. Now when I say she's at a crossroads I mean that she can go a number of ways as her career blossoms. Does she stay the course of such non-mainstream leaning artists as Lucinda Williams, Joni Mitchell, Fiona Apple, or Shelby Lynne? Or does she start to sell her soul for the good fortune and vapid art of a Shania Twain? Her EP Far As I'm Concerned is self-released I think, so please email her off her site about getting a hold of one. If you really want it I'll burn it for you and mail it to you (assuming that's ok with Victoria). It's that intriguing.

Here's 1 lonely song from Far As I'm Concerned:

Love Sick

Let me know what you think.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, it's a really nice rock-country song. I like it very much. The website from her an the sample song make me curious.
Hope i can buy this album here...
Greetings from germany.

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon her quite accidentally in San Francisco in November 2006. I saw her again in January 2007 and was impressed again:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=3&entry_id=12819

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home