Tuesday, May 03, 2005

The Long Winters...

No not the Long Ryders I'm talking about the Long Winters. I've slept on this record a bit since I got it about 2 months ago. It was originally released in 2003 so it's nothing terribly new but for some reason my ears have really perked up to it in recent weeks. I've been putting aside Damien Jurado's amazing On My Way To Absence and digging me some Long Winters. At times they sound like XTC, other times an alt country soul outfit. It's an exuberant set of songs and by that I mean you really feel like songwriter John Roderick loves his material and loves hearing it play. His voice is a bit raw, but I've always like that. I don't see any news of a new record in the near future, though there does seem to be talk of one at some point so I guess they're still a going concern. An interesting sidenote is that Long Winters bassist Sean Nelson was once a principle in Harvey Danger; you do remember Flagpole Sitta don't you?

A couple from The Long Winters When I Pretend To Fall:

Cinnamon

It'll Be A Breeze

Purchase When I Pretend To Fall HERE

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I totally sat on them for months before realizing how great they are. Their music just makes me happy, even though I can't really explain why.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Caley said...

Those are probably the two best songs on the entire album. Well, a case could be made for "Prom Night At Hater High" but...

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely tracks--thanks!!

http://herself_nyc.livejournal.com

2:01 PM  
Blogger Dave Rawkblog said...

Great, great album. I like "Stupid" myself.

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The more I listen the more I like. These guys remind me of a more polished version of a band called The Dying Californian i posted about months ago. Also real good.

Pete

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home