Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Back in the Saddle...

Well Friends I'm back from the East Coast. I think I'm finally completely Californianized because I found myself thinking a lot about the saying "it's not the heat it's the humidity". Never really bothered me that much growing up in the DC area but that muggy is fizucked. Good trip though lots of family time which is great since I never see the blood relatives anymore. But back to work now in all senses of the word. I must admit that it was nice to have a break from the awesome responsibility that it Bars & Guitars. I can only take the wait of the indie leaning music world borne on my shoulders for so long.

So for the first post back I thought I'd share with you the 2 things that I listened to the most on my trip.

Item 1) Laura Cantrell's new record Humming By The Flowered Vine is just great. I'm not often touched by those among us with absolutely beautiful voices singing in a traditional medium (country music) but Laura gets me the same way that Patsy Cline still does, Neko Case does occasionally and Maria Mckee has been doing with Peddlin' Dreams. Get this. Hurry.

Poor Ellen Smith

Item the second) Somehow mellow country tinged Americana lends itself very well to muggy nights populated by the winks of fireflies. It just sounds so good with a cold beer in one hand, the sounds of kids running summer crazed through the deep green of suburban lawns lingering with the languid notes of a band like Last of the Blacksmiths. They're a San Francisco based band paying their homage to the sounds of an America both real and imagined. They sound a good bit like the deceased Granfaloon Bus which is a great compliment as far as I'm concerneed. They're current record which is, I believe, self released is self titled and full of the slow moving and careful kind of songs that lull you into a mesmerized state before you realize there's something at least a little sinister going on under the still waters. Very strong.

Pushing Down

Russian River

Good to be back. How've you been?

2 Comments:

Blogger Diana Senechal said...

I like your blog.

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also from the east coast and now living in California. What a great ides to listen to Laura Cantrell when I go home next month! I am not into country at all but love several of the songs on this new CD. Thank you for telling more people about her.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home