Thursday, June 22, 2006

Mr. Tube...

Ok, once again I've been suckered by a CD sent by a PR firm. Boy that sounds high falutin' don't it. The band is Mr. Tube And The Flying Objects the album is Listen Up. If you poke around the website a bit you'll find a very rich back story. Only I can't figure out if it's true or, well, a very well imagined back story. What I do know is that the band involves Paulo Zappoli from Black Heart Procession and some great bass work by Jovi Butz. Aside from those facts the whole thing is up in the air. I won't even try to sum up the story, which if true gives serious legs to the old adage "truth is stranger than fiction".

The music is kind of a mix of vintage Tom Waits mixed with some Stax-Volt soul. The songs are filled with bleeding horns that just sort of fall out of the speakers, distracted vocals, and a certain Cuban flavor that I can't put my finger on. It's a surprisingly engaging listen and fits well with late nights and too much cold beer. I find myself alternately confused and thoroughly won over by the funky stumbling quality of the record. Give it a go.

1 song from Listen Up:

Tryin'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home