Friday, July 08, 2005

Deerhoof...

I will be the first to admit that I've been resistant to the sounds of Deerhoof. They're a San Francisco band and i've got many friends singing their praises in my ear but for some reason I could just never get my ears around what they were trying to do. I think a lot of it has to do with my love of tradiitional song structure (verse-chorus-verse please and I'll take a side of bridge with that) and pure melody. I've often found that I'm resistant to what doesn't grab my ear immediately. But with that said I must admit that some of my favorite records are ones that I've been initially unmoved by. So it was with trepidation that I laid my hands on Deerhoof's Green Cosmos. But it's an EP so the $ commitment wasn't much and it fits my short attention span. Lo and behold I like it a lot more than I thought. There's a certain disjointed frenzy in the songs that's more about head nodding than head scratching. I'm now tempted to investigate more of their records, if anyone knows a good starting point give me the heads up. In the meantime I'll keep cranking it up:

Spiral Golden Town

Come See The Duck

Both from Green Cosmos. Have a good weekend.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is a good starting point... http://music.ibiblio.org/pub/multimedia/puzzle/deerhoof/

12:16 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I don't really get Deerhoof either. Like you I'm more about trad structures. But I guess I'm seeing them this Sunday at Intonation. Either the power of live music wins me over or I take the opportunity to visit the record fair.

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home