Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin...

I won't even try to claim this as my discovery because I totallly got hipped to it by the excellent site Catbird Seat. Here's a band with a name that rivals The Prayers And Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers. While the Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin is one of the more awkward band names to spew out when impressing friends with your knowledge of obscure indie rock, the songs are not in the least awkward. Au contrarie (sp? I ain't french) what they're good at are brief power pop songs sliced into convenient 3 and 4 minute bits. SSLYBY hail from Springfield, Missouri and like to give their songs clever names like "Pangea" (likening a love affair to the original super continent automatically makes it good as far as I'm concerned). The album is Broom and can ordered off their website.

Power pop goodness on a Tuesday. It's the little things.

from Broom:

House Fire

from their EP Gwyn and Grace:

Tired

We Can Win Missouri

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Au Contraire.

And I explained over the radio what an umlaut is while descending the steep part of Gough Street yesterday. A passion for language? Or just reckless.

--Grey

10:43 AM  
Blogger gwadzilla said...

you do have flowery speech like a food critic...
this week my friend Rob is back in town with the band he is a contributing member of
sold out two shows and scheduled a third
sure that sold out as well
what am I saying...
we would have had to booked a babysitter weeks ago
not to mention staying out that late

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I manage SSLYB (as it is also a pain to type)...we say that you rock too, and congratulations on not being french

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to see tapes & tapes in Hoboken and SSLBY was the opener. To be honest I felt bad for Tapes & Tapes because SSLBY put on a kick ass show and Tapes & Tapes didn't deliver. I bought their cd broom, but I can swear I heard more songs at their show. Does anyone know where I can find more songs from this band???

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home