Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Charlemagne...

The fact of the matter is that I hated Charlemagne's record Detour Allure the first time I listened to it. I was on a long drive and thought I'd do a bit of listening to a pile of CDs I'd received and this one was at the top. I turned it off. It just seemed, I don't know, wrong. A couple of nights later on my way home from playing hoops (I shot the lights out thank you very much) I put it on for no good reason really. It was close by I grabbed it. This go around it made sense. The jangly folk rock, boy girl harmonies, hand claps, breathy vocals, it all made sense. Lo and behold when I let the disc get past the first four songs it rocked. Not make the satan sign and bang your head rock, but rock in a kinda friendly Matt Pond PA (but better) way. Anyway, Charlemagne is mainly Carl Johns if you're interested. This album just works for me and I wish I wasn't so tired (Christmas parties kickin' my ass yo) so I could better come up with some florid metaphor for the sound. Instead I'll just give you a couple of songs.

2 from Detour Allure:

Your Scars

(We Are) Making Light

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home