Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Heartless Bastards...

I haven't gotten into the whole resurgence of guitar based blues that's been such a craze since White Stripes took off. The Black Keys, et al, just aren't my cup of tea. Every now and then I'll hear a single that I nod my head to, but the sustained effort it takes for me to wade through a complete album puts me off. But the other day I came across The Heartless Bastards. They're a three piece fronted by a woman named Erika Wennerstrom who hails from Dayton, Ohio. That's kind of useless information, unless you're the type to assume certain things about a band due to their geographic home (Detroit=House or Bluesy Rock, Bakersfield = country, Dayton = um, unseemly classic rock?, etc.). Well, don't assume anything about The Heartless Bastards, don't let the name fool you; these guys aren't just about loud and fast or thick ass guitar riffs (though there's a good deal of that). Erika is a fine songwriter first and the tunes on their soon to be released album on Fat Possum Records called Stairs And Elevators prove that. Sure they rock, but it's about songs first and being loud second. Ms. Wennerstrom's voice reminds me a lot of Concrete Blonde's Johnette Napolitano. This album's a keeper. Turn it up loud.

3 songs from Stairs And Elevators:

Onions

New Resolution

Runnin'

Go Here to buy this record.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

I'm with you here, this album is a keeper. Great songs first, proven by that last piano tune, which is brilliant. Not as dirty as Black Keys but they don't need to be.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home