Tuesday, January 18, 2005

revisiting Frog Holler...

A couple of weeks ago I posted about Pennsylvania band Frog Holler. With three albums under their belts they're practically cagey old veterans of the alt-country scene. I'm a big fan of Frog Holler so I was understandably pleased when I got their newest EP in the mail recently. The High Highs and The Low Lows is a 7 song set of older and unreleased songs that's not entirely representative of the bands "usual" sound, but is very good none the less. EPs are tricky. I've always liked the format since I have a short attention span and it feels like you're getting a lot for something less than the price of a full album. If you (like me) think about Frog Holler as being a satisfying middle ground between rock and country/blue grass picking, you'll find The High Highs And Low Lows to land much closer to the rocking end of the Frog Holler spectrum. The songs here tend to wind out a bit longer, push the guitar to the front of the mix and generally want to be played loud. It's a very fun collection, though I don't know if I can argue that it's representative of their catalog as a whole.

2 songs from The High Highs and The Low Lows:

Glitter

Million Good Things


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for introducing me to Frog Holler & The Sidewinders. You have a great blog here.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It pleases me to no end that you enjoy it.

Pete

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home